Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bear in My Path

“How do I get there?”

“There is a path, but watch out for the bears. It’s quite overgrown, but I’ve been through it, you should be able to get through, no problem.”

“Bears?”

“Yeah, they’re just waking up from hibernation.”

“Okay, thanks!” I say and we set off. I head towards the path, I’m in the lead with my children behind me. When we get to the path, it’s gorgeous. The grass is already a lush new green. Have I grown smaller or has the grass grown taller? In any case, the path is before us with the tops of the grass criss-crossed together. It’s more of a tunnel than a path, but I can see the tracks of where my guide had been. We move forward down the path. We’re rolling forward like on a bicycle when I’m suddenly startled.

It’s a bear! It’s huge and black and it turns to look at me. It starts to gallop towards me. I back all of us. My first instinct is to protect my kids.

I back all the way out of the path to give the bear as much space as possible. I hesitate. I could turn to run, but I realize that I’m not really scared of this bear. I’m just giving it the respect and space I think it needs. My concern is not for myself.

As I stand there I realize, I am just one bear looking at another.

I wake up.

Was the bear there for me?

Is it the answer to my question?

Do I indeed know where the path is, I just have to trust the bear to guide me and keep walking, I don’t need the bicycle.

Good things to ponder.

~Scorpion

No comments:

Post a Comment